• October 1Yearbooks are on sale for $75! Order at jostensyearbooks.com or see Ms. Brannon.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

The Royal Baby is Born

Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, gave birth to the new prince on Monday (courtesy of People).

Lilly Wilt, Staff Writer

According to People, Prince William and Duchess Kate Middleton welcomed their new baby prince on Monday at St. Mary’s Hospital. Kensington Palace released a statement on Twitter saying “Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son at 1101 hrs. The baby weighs 8 lbs 7 oz. The Duke of Cambridge was present for the birth… Her Royal Highness and her baby are both doing well.”

The royal baby’s name was revealed on Friday. The baby’s name is Louis Arthur Charles an will be known as His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge.

Now that the royal baby has been born, the line of succession has slightly changed (Telegraph). Next in line for the throne after Queen Elizabeth II is Prince Charles of Wales, next is Prince William (Duke of Cambridge), then Prince George of Cambridge, then Princess Charlotte of Cambridge, followed by the new prince of Cambridge, and so on. According to CNN, the Succession to the Crown Act of 2013 means Princess Charlotte won’t be overtaken in the line of succession by a younger brother. Before this law was passed, older sisters were passed by their baby brothers in the line of succession.

According to TODAY, Kate Middleton left the hospital seven hours after giving birth. Many people were wondering how she was able to leave the hospital that quickly. PLOS Medicine conducted a study that showed that the United Kingdom has the shortest postpartum hospital stays in the world, lasting only about a day and a half, while new moms get to stay about two days in the hospital after giving birth in the United States.

About the Writer
Lilly Wilt, Staff Writer
Lilly Wilt is a freshman in her first year of journalism. She likes to read, write, bake, and watch Netflix. She joined journalism because she likes to write stories. She can usually be found reading or playing with her adorable cats Tiger and Belle.